-->

What is the one word that will make you rich? - Eric Lauritzen, Grammar Nicey

- 15:00


Photo credit: XpatNation

People who get rich are persuasive and credible.


One of the best ways to get other people to do what you want them to? And to sound credible? Use the word because.

Harvard psychologist Ellen Langer tested the power of because by asking people to cut in line to use the copy machine. This was in 1989, when there actually were lines to use the Xerox. Nevertheless, the power of because remains one word that will make you rich.

Langer tested 3 different ways of asking people to let her cut ahead. Here’s what she found:

Way 1: Excuse me, I have 5 pages. May I use the Xerox machine?
Result: 60% said YES.

Way 2: Excuse me, I have 5 pages. May I use the Xerox machine because I’m in a rush?
Result: 94% said YES.

Adding the magic word because immediately boosted the effectiveness of her request by a remarkable amount.

Way 3: Excuse me, I have 5 pages. May I use the Xerox machine because I have to make some copies?
Result: 93% said YES.

The word because is so powerful that it didn't even matter if the reasons provided were compelling.

I recently conducted my own little modern day Xerox study. I sent out 2 emails, asking people to respond to a simple question.

E-mail 1: Please respond.

E-mail 2: Please respond, because I need an answer.

Result: Email #2 got double the response!

So, if you want to be rich: be specific in your assertions -- many people will let you get ahead if you just ask. Then say that magic word because -- a larger majority are likely to say yes.

Because people want reasons for doing what they are doing, persuasive people are able to jump ahead and get rich. Almost any reason will do.
Advertisement

 

Start typing and press Enter to search